Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Manga The Nightmare Before Christmas

Nightmare Before Christmas MangaOne of my all time favorite movies is Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas. When I found the Manga version on the 50% off rack at Bookies, I could not resist. The book reads from back to front and the pages read from right to left. This is how it was originally printed in Japan and not why it was on the 50% off rack. I can’t imagine that any one has not seen The Nightmare Before Christmas, but if you haven’t you need to go out and get the DVD right now! Have you got it yet? No, I am serious, hop on over to Amazon and you can have it shipped to you tomorrow. You MUST see the movie.

Okay, I may have gotten a little off track there, but If you haven’t seen it (hard to believe), it is about Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King, who has grown tired and bored of his hometown holiday, Halloween. He yearns for something more, and soon stumbles upon the glorious magic of Christmas Town. Jack decides to bring this joyful holiday back to Halloween Town and take over for Santa. And really, what could go wrong with the Pumpkin King of Halloween taking over Christmas? What indeed?

Unfortunately this is one of those rare cases where I feel the movie is much better than the book. I did not think the book in its Manga style was able to capture the essence of the story or maybe it was I just missed the Oogie Boogie man singing.

No comments: