Monday, June 30, 2008

The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable by Terry Pratchett, illustrated by Paul Kidby

Last HeroIn my usual unintentional fashion of doing stuff, this is the first Terry Pratchett Discworld book I have read, which would be the last one in the series. But even not having an earlier introduction to the characters, I enjoyed it immensely.

Cohen the Barbarian gathers his "mature" friends to embark on one final quest. They are going to climb the highest mountain of Discworld and return to the gods what the first hero stole. Only problem is that will mean the end of the world. Thus Lord Vetinari of Ankh-Morpork, a band of wizards, a soldier, an inventor/painter and an orangutan librarian must come up with a plan to stop Cohen before it is too late.

There were several LOL’s when I was reading this book, very tongue and cheek. Coming from the corporate world I loved the definition of workshop - "the means by which people who don't know anything get together to pool their ignorance." I also loved the Chair of Indefinite Studies Wizard, who once determined there was a definite problem dismissed himself because that was not his field.

Fun illustrations through out the book, including detail diagrams of the swamp dragons, which proved very interesting.

I will now have to go catch myself up with the first of the Discworld series.

No comments: