Monday, June 16, 2008

Amphigorey Also

Amphigorey AlsoThe other evening when deciding what to read next, the Edward Gorey’s Amphigorey Also caught my eye on the end table. I was just going to read a story or two and then start in on my next Sandman graphic novel, Volume 5, A Game of You, but ended up reading the whole book. Edward Gorey never ceases to amaze me with his macabre humorous style. Read about Embley and Yewbert’s adventure in the Epiplectic Bicycle. Brush up on the alphabet in The Utter Zoo, The Glorious Nosebleed and The Eclectic Abecedarium. Learn how the famous mystery writer, Miss D. Awdrey-Gore, of such great titles, The Pincushion Affair, The Toothpaste Murder, and The Dustwrapper Secret, pieced together the perfect tale of mystery. This Amphigorey book also highlights Gorey’s artistic and creative talent with his superbly macabre illustrations. I particularly enjoyed his cycling cards in The Broken Spoke and his urns in the Les Urnes Utiles.

I will definitely need to be adding some more Gorey to my library collection and on the look out for, The Dwindling Party and Dracula: a Toy Theatre.

No comments: