Friday, June 6, 2008

The Dangerous Alphabet

The Dangerous AlphabetThe Dangerous Alphabet by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Gris Grimly is a curious poetic journey through an alphabet with unsavory characters and letters of mischief. Two brave children and their courageous gazelle embark on an adventure where they encounter pirates, creatures of all sorts, and a not-to-be trusted alphabet.

“E’s for the Evil that lures and entices;
F is for Fear and its many devices...”


Needless to say, if you have been to my blog before, I am a huge Neil Gaiman fan. When I found out he was working with one of my other favorites, Gris Grimly, I knew I would have another treasure for my collection, and I was not disappointed. The rhyming couplets had a slight Edward Gorey feel to them (who I also love), and every time I read through the book I see another devious nuance in the monstrous illustrations.

However, readers beware! You may find yourself so entranced with Gaiman’s rhythmic verses and Grimly’s esoteric visions that you may not realize just how dangerous the Alphabet really is in this story.

No comments: