Friday, March 20, 2009

Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Tales From Outer SuburbiaIt was the layout, design, and surreal imagery that attracted me to the Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan. What a bonus that the 15 short illustrated stories also created a unique and pleasing journey through the extremely cool eye candy. I thought Mr. Tan did an excellent job capturing the voice and imagination of seeing suburbia through a young kid’s eye. As stated in the description the stories are “...about a strange situation or event that occurs in an otherwise familiar suburban world.” My favorites were Eric and Alert but not Alarmed. Eric is about a foreign exchanged student and I just loved the last illustration of that story. In Alert but not Alarmed, I would also be painting my backyard missile, stringing lights on it and turning it into a pizza oven. In addition, I quite enjoyed the water buffalo and the two brothers with the map. That one could so have been a story about my sister and me (especially the part on the older sibling always being right....I am the youngest).

No comments: