Monday, March 8, 2010

Sneak Peek - The Edible Raven

Here is a sneak peek of the title page for one of my stories being published in the Edible Raven magazine, which will be out in a few weeks.

The idea came from a journal page my sister did called “Closet of Curious Toys.” I emailed her that not only did I love her sketch but that would be a neat title for a book. She emailed me back that for some reason another title popped into her head she thought would make a cool book title, The Curious Curse.

For some reason that title resonated with me and kept rattling around in the back of my head. Then one day taking a shower, a line came to me about a Curious Curse, a total nonsensical line, that rhymed. Over the next few days when showering or brushing my teeth, a few more, uh, let’s say interesting lines came to me to where I finally felt I would be able to extract them from the head to the paper.

I definitely feel I was influenced by Edward Gorey’s Doubtful Guest in writing this short, nonsense, a bit on the odd side (okay maybe a lot on the odd side) tale of a Curious Curse’s visit to a town. Once I had a rough draft completed I sent it off to my sister and it seemed to amuse her and thus, the first story of the Edible Raven took flight.


Curious Curse
This is from the title page of The Curious Curse, for more sneak peeks of the story you can visit the Edible Raven website.

No comments: