Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction by Mike Mignola

HellboyWhen my husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told him The Sandman Volume 10: The Wake, the last chapter in the incredible Sandman series. So imagine my surprise when I opened up my present on Christmas Eve to reveal Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction. Oh well, at least he made it to the right section in the bookstore.

I have seen the first Hellboy movie and the second one is on my “to-see” list. I just assumed that this book would be a rehash of the first movie but again to my surprise, it was quite different. Hellboy is a great paranormal investigator. After being attacked by a mutant frog, he and his two paranormal sidekicks, pyrotechnic Liz and gilled-friend, Abraham Sapien, take a visit to a 150 year-old American home to find some answers. There he not only discovers the secret of his own origins, but also a dangerous force about to be released upon the world.

I have a birthday coming up at the end of the month so maybe I will get my coveted last volume of Sandman then, but if it happens to be Hellboy Volume 2: Wake of the Devil, I will not be disappointed.

No comments: