Monday, January 19, 2009

The Discworld Graphic Novels The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett

Discworld Graphic NovelsLast year I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable by Terry Pratchett. Several LOL moments. Thus I was very excited when I stumbled across the first two volumes of the Discworld series in graphic novel form, The Discworld Graphic Novels: The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic. It was right before Thanksgiving and I decided to go ahead and treat myself to a pre-holiday gift. And after reading it, may I just add, I have excellent taste in gifts.

In a parallel universe hurtling through space is Discworld, a flat world sitting on the backs of four elephants balanced on a giant turtle. I am already hooked. The adventure starts out with Twoflower, Discworld’s first ever tourist, hiring Rincewind, an apprehensive wizard, to be his guide. Rincewind gets a little bit more than he bargained for with this new job including encounters with dragons, trolls, barbarians, a giant squid-like creature, druids, and the occasional visit from the Grim Reaper. He also has to contend with Twoflower’s luggage that has a mind of its own and many feet. Oh, did I mention along with all of this that the turtle hurtling through space with four elephants standing on its shell with Discworld balanced on their back is headed straight into a sun and Rincewind is the only wizard who can save them all from a fiery death?

This was a pretty thick graphic novel that I thought would take me a good week or more to get through, but it only took a few days as I could not put it down wondering what on earth (or I guess in this case Discworld) would be happening on the next page. There were several “...did not see that coming.” All in all, a humorous read with great detailed illustrations. I will definitely have to think of more gift giving occasions for myself for future Discworld reads

No comments: