Monday, February 1, 2010

Death: The High Cost of Living by Neil Gaiman

Death High Cost of Living2009 had some of the best of times but it also had a ton of the worst of times for my family. That is why I thought it appropriate for the last book of my 2009 reading to be the graphic novel, Death: The High Cost of Living by Neil Gaiman with illustrations from Dave McKean, Chris Bachalo and Mark Buckingham. Finished it at 11:45pm on New Years Eve. Yes that is right, I am such a party animal.

As usual, Mr. Gaiman does not disappoint. Death: The High Cost of Living centers around Sandman’s sister, Death. One day in every century Death becomes human to better understand what it feels like for the lives she takes, or in other words, to have mortality.

On this day mortal death and a troubled sixteen year-old embark on an adventure to search for the heart of a two-hundred-and fifty-year-old homeless woman. Like my 2009 this quest has some best of times and then some not so pleasant times.

If you are not familiar with the Sandman series, the question is, why not? Okay, just kidding. I think you would still be able to follow along the story line without having read any of the Sandman Graphic Novels, but I highly recommend his whole series.

No comments: